Here's the drill: 12 songs to summarize an artist's career, in chronological order (of course). This one features...
Formed in Minneapolis in the early '00s, Motion City Soundtrack are defined by a caffeinated, keyboard-driven pop punk sound and the funny-but-confessional lyrics of lead singer Justin Courtney Pierre, a combination that made them one of the defining bands of emo's second (or is it third?) wave.
Because the lyrics are so important to the band's appeal, I'll share a favorite line from each tune.
(And if you have Amazon Music Unlimited, you can listen along here.)
1. "The Future Freaks Me Out" (from I Am the Movie, 2003)
"We waste away the days with nicotine and television samples / Of an era we hate to admit we embrace"
2. "Attractive Today" (from Commit This to Memory, 2005)
"And as I gently sip this drink, / I think about my lack of future, / And of all the places I could learn to fall in love"
3. "Make Out Kids" (from Commit This to Memory, 2005)
"Armed with a plethora of insecurities, we keep each other amused"
4. "Time Turned Fragile" (from Commit This to Memory, 2005)
"How it got so cold the words just froze / We had to wait 'til summer to find out what was said"
5. "This Is For Real" (from Even If It Kills Me, 2007)
"You smoked the demons, gave me back my feelings / Now I am good to go!"
6. "Where I Belong" (from Even If It Kills Me, 2007)
"This is where I run out of words / That describe how I'm so damn hurt"
7. "Even If It Kills Me" (from Even If It Kills Me, 2007)
"I wonder if I'll ever lose my mind / I tried hard for awhile / But then I kinda gave up"
8. "A Lifeless Ordinary (Need a Little Help)" (from My Dinosaur Life, 2010)
"I always knew I had the answer / But I never understood the question"
9. "Skin and Bones" (from My Dinosaur Life, 2010)
"Will we be alright left alone tonight?"
10. "The Coma Kid" (from Go, 2012)
"Always trying to illuminate the past / Questions answered, but the insight never lasts"
11. "Timelines" (from Go, 2012)
"Do you ever wonder how you got to here?"
12. "I Can Feel You" (from Panic Stations, 2015)
"All this time I've wasted / Waiting for the world to end"