Skip to main content

12 by Jay-Z

Here's the drill: 12 songs to summarize an artist's career, in chronological order (of course).


In honor of his recent nuptials, this week we look at Jay-Z. Just so you know, I decided to focus on tracks that feature Jay-Z as the clear center of attention. I could make a completely different list of his guest appearances. Stay tuned on that... I also avoided his big hits, for the most part. I don't think they're truly representative of his abilities or sensibilities. Finally, instead of offering my usual pithy commentary, I'm going to let the man speak for himself. 

1. "Can't Knock The Hustle" (from Reasonable Doubt, 1996) 
"I got extensive hos with expensive clothes and I sip fine wines and spit vintage flows." 

2. "Streets Is Watching" (from In My Lifetime, Vol.1, 1997) 
"If I shoot you I'm brainless / but if you shoot me, you're famous." 

3. "Hard Knock Life" (from Hard Knock Life, Vol.2, 1998) 
"I gave you prophecy on my first joint, and y'all lamed out / Didn't really appreciate it 'til the second one came out / So I stretched the game out, X'ed your name out / Put Jigga on top, and drop albums non-stop." 

4. "Izzo (H.O.V.A)" (from Blueprint, 2001) 
"Cops want to knock me / D.A. wanna box me in / Still I beat them charges like Rocky / Not guilty / He who does not feel me does not exist / So, poof, vamoose son of a bitch." 

5. "Ain't No Love (Heart Of The City)" (from Blueprint, 2001) 
"Can I live? I told you in '96 / that I came to take this shit and I did, handle my biz / I scramble like Randall with his / cut in hand but the only thing runnin' is numbers fam' / Jigga held you down six summers; damn, where's the love?" 

6. "Song Cry" (from Unplugged, 2001) 
"We used to use umbrellas to face the bad weather / So now we travel first class to change the forecast." 

7. "'03 Bonnie & Clyde" (from Blueprint 2, 2002) 
"Cause mami's a rider, and I'm a roller /Put us together, how they gonna stop both us? / Whatever she lacks, I'm right over her shoulder / When I'm off track mami is keepin' me focused / So let's lock this down like it's supposed to be /The '03 Bonnie and Clyde, Hov' and B, holla!" 

8. Punjabi MC - "Beware Of The Boys" (Jay-Z Remix) (from Beware, 2003) 
"Checkin' in daily under aliases / We rebellious, we back home, screamin' leave Iraq alone / But all my soldiers in the field, I will wish you safe return / But only love kills war when will they learn?" 

9. "99 Problems" (from The Black Album, 2003) 
"So I, pull over to the side of the road / I heard, 'Son do you know why I'm stoppin' you for?' / Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low? / Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know." 

10. "Change Clothes" (from The Grey Album, 2004) 
"Best believe I sweat out weaves, give afropuffs like R-A-G-E" 

11. "Dear Summer" (from Memphis Bleek's 534, 2005) 
"I got a brand new bitch, corporate America / She showing me a lot of action right now." 

12. "Lost One" (from Kingdom Come, 2006) 
"And me? My timing is on me it serves / So I have to allow she, HER, time to serve / The time’s now for her, in time she’ll mature / And maybe we can be we again, like we were."

Comments

Jenn said…
I think the line you quoted from "Izzo" is one of my all-time favorite lyrics.

Popular posts from this blog

The Unlikely Musical Life of Tom Kelly

You may not know the name Tom Kelly, but I guarantee that you've sung along to songs he wrote.  Born in West Lafayette, Indiana in 1952, Tom moved to Effingham, Illinois when he was 11 years old, just in time to witness the Beatles' debut on Ed Sullivan. Bit by the rock music bug, he joined a local band called the Trifaris, singing and playing bass. His family moved back to Indiana in '66. When Tom finished high school, he decided to go to college in Illinois, but his choice was made based on extracurricular factors, not academic ones. "I started at Eastern [Illinois University] because there was a band,” he told the Effingham Daily News in 2011, “Then I transferred to Southern [Illinois University] because there was another band.”  Champaign, Illinois  Continuing his college hopping, Tom headed closer to home to attend Purdue, and there he had a group called The Gaping Huggers, comprised of former fellow Trifari JC Marshall on drums, and University of Illino...

12 More by Collective Soul

  Sometimes an artist just needs 12  more  songs to summarize their career. Case in point... Collective Soul released a pretty decent best of compilation - 7even Year Itch: 1994-2001 - nearly a quarter of a century ago, but there's been nothing to summarize their output since then. Considering that output consists of seven albums and a couple of EPs, we've got our work cut out for us. (Since the band stopped having "hits" in 2009, most of these are just my personal preference, though I did give the singles first consideration). 1. "Better Now" (from Youth , 2004) "Better Now" is buzzy burst of optimism that has stood the test of time/\. 2. "There's a Way" (from Youth , 2004) Great riff, great chorus, great bridge, great song. 3. "What Can I Give You" (from Afterwords , 2007) Fascinating structure on this one: It starts out somewhat pedestrian, then goes into a soaring chorus followed by an even more melodic post-chorus, the...

86. The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers (2005)

Very few things in life can sustain the same level of excitement from beginning to end, and The Magic Numbers' debut album is no exception. Like a party that's loud, full and hoppin' from the get-go and then eventually dwindles down to a quiet few, the CD makes its statement early and then fades away. Mornings Eleven is a helluva opener. It consists of two separate sections; the first makes you want to shake your ass, the second makes you want to swoon. Going from country-rock boogie to '50s doo-wop harmony, the two movements spend the song alternating back and forth, and it's effective enough to make the 5-and-a-half minute running time seem too short. As the album continues that becomes a recurring theme. The songs are long, but rarely overstay their welcome. That's a tribute to Romeo Stodart's compositions, but another factor may be that the group consists of two sets of brothers and sisters (the Allman Brothers would be proud). I believe that familial s...