Skip to main content

12 by Jimmy Eat World

12 by... aims to summarize and artist's career in 12 songs. This week features...






I'll always be proud of Jimmy Eat World, because "I knew them when...". I first saw them at a bar in 1997, a good four years before they blew up with "The Middle." Also, I've said it before, but if I if I go deaf someday, they'll be at least partially to blame. Though they are probably loathe to admit it, they remain truer to the spirit of emo than any the make-up laden followers who have claimed the genre for themselves.

1. "Call It In The Air" (from Static Prevails, 1996) 
Dueling lead vocals, start-stop, quiet-loud dynamics, raging guitars and a swooning outro? Textbook emo. 

2. "Opener" (from Singles, 2000) 
The song that got me into the band. My college roommate Nick and I originally heard it on an obscure 1997 compilation called The Emo Diaries-Chapter 1-What's Mine Is Yours. I especially love the false ending with the final hurrah. 

3. "Lucky Denver Mint" (from Clarity, 1999) 
"You're not bigger than this / not better / why can't you learn" was a great message for a mildly misanthropic college student. I tried to take it to heart. Dig the drum-centric outro, too. 

4. "For Me This Is Heaven" (from Clarity, 1999) 
Songs like this ballad are why it makes me smile when the band tries to distance itself from emo. After all, they repeat the line "Can you still feel the butterflies?" multiple times. The line "If I don't let myself be happy now then when?" also spoke volumes to me when I first heard this song, but sad to say I still struggle with remembering to live in the moment. 

5. "Blister" (from Clarity, 1999)
Post-apocalyptic lyrics paired with uplifting music make this a live favorite.

6. "No Sensitivity" (from Jimmy Eat World/Jebidiah EP, 2000) 
I'm-writing-you-off break-up songs are great, and I love how bands keep finding new ways to say the same thing. In this case "I'm taking my kisses back from you" does quite nicely. 

7. "A Praise Chorus" (from Bleed American, 2001) 
A song about songs, and thus having the ability to make me feel squirmy and happy every time, especially when The Promise Ring's Davey von Bohlen comes in to sing lyrics from Tommy James, They Might Be Giants, Motley Crue, Madness, The Kinks and his own band. 

8. "If You Don't, Don't" (from Bleed American, 2001) 
Do you know how some songs feel familiar and classic from the very first listen? It was that way for me with this one. Once again the emo comes out, in the I-know-we're-not-going-to-make-it-but-I'm-still-achingly-nostalgic lyrics. 

9. "The Middle" (from Bleed American, 2001) 
Sure it was a big hit, but it actually deserved to be. Pep talks don't get much better than the believe-in-yourself message of this song! 

10. "Polaris" (from Futures, 2004) 
Atmospheric and haunting. Once again their penchant for nuggets of lyrical truth strike home for me: "They say that love goes anywhere / In your darkest time / It's just enough to know it's there." 

11. "The World You Love" (from Futures, 2004) 
Manages to evoke a rollercoaster of emotions - wistfulness, anger, hope, sadness - without feeling schizophrenic.

12. "23" (from Futures, 2004)
A slow-burning 7-minute epic that hits you where it hurts so good: "You'll sail alone forever if you wait for the right time / What are you hoping for? / I'm here and now I'm ready, holding on tight / Don't give away the ending / The one thing that stays mine."

*

The above entry was revised in 2021. For posterity, here's the original 2008 list:

1. "Call It In The Air" (from Static Prevails, 1996)
Dueling lead vocals, start-stop, quiet-loud dynamics, raging guitars and a swooning outro? This is emo.

2. "Opener" (from Singles, 2000)
My college roommate Nick and I originally heard this song on an obscure 1997 compilation called The Emo Diaries-Chapter 1-What's Mine Is Yours and loved it, especially the false ending with the final hurrah.

3. "Lucky Denver Mint" (from Clarity, 1999)
"You're not bigger than this / not better / why can't you learn" was a great message for a mildly misanthropic college student. I tried to take it to heart. Dig the drum-centric outro, too.

4. "For Me This Is Heaven" (from Clarity, 1999)
Songs like this ballad are why it makes me smile when the band tries to distance itself from emo. After all, they repeat the line "Can you still feel the butterflies?" multiple times. The line "If I don't let myself be happy now then when?" also spoke volumes to me when I first heard this song, unused as I was to living in the moment.

5. "No Sensitivity" (from Jimmy Eat World/Jebidiah EP, 2000)
I'm-writing-you-off break-up songs are great, and I love how bands keep finding new ways to say the same thing. In this case "I'm taking my kisses back from you" does quite nicely.

6. "A Praise Chorus" (from Bleed American, 2001)
A song about songs, and thus having the ability to make me feel squirmy and happy every time, especially when The Promise Ring's Davey von Bohlen comes in to sing lyrics from Tommy James, They Might Be Giants, Motley Crue, Madness, The Kinks and his own band.

7. "The Middle" (from Bleed American, 2001)
Sure it was a big hit, but it actually deserved to be. Pep talks don't get much better than the believe-in-yourself message of this song!

8. "If You Don't, Don't" (from Bleed American, 2001)
Do you know how some songs feel familiar and classic from the very first listen? It was that way for me with this one. Once again the emo comes out, in the I-know-we're-not-going-to-make-it-but-I'm-still-achingly-nostalgic lyrics.

9. "Polaris" (from Futures, 2004)
Atmospheric and haunting, to me it seemed like an authentic artistic leap for the band. Once again their penchant for nuggets of lyrical truth strike home for me: "They say that love goes anywhere / In your darkest time / It's just enough to know it's there."

10. "Work" (from Futures, 2004)
I can't really figure out what the lyrics are about, but the harmonies (with help from Liz Phair) are so darn pretty.

11. "Over" (from Stay On My Side Tonight EP, 2005)
This wrenching break-up tune is a throwback to their looser early sound.

12. "Here It Goes" (from Chase This Light, 2007)
Would it be weird if I said this song has a disco feel? Certainly it's as happy and carefree as we've ever heard the band. If only there were a way to bottle the feeling...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 by Matthew Sweet (2002 - 2021)

Sometimes a huge part of an artist's career has not been summarized. Case in point... Matthew Sweet has a couple of compliations out there, but neither of them cover the past couple of decades, a span that has seen him release 8 albums of original material and 3 albums of covers.  I followed Sweet's career religiously early on, with my ardor gradually diminishing after the magnificant one-two punch of In Reverse (1999) and The Thorns (2003) That's not to say he hasn't produced some great work since then, it's just that it requires bit of effort to pick out the gems. Here's my college try: (Two of these albums are not available on streaming servies, so here's a slightly modified version of the playlist on YouTube .) 1. "I Can't Remember" ( The Thorns , 2003) The Thorns was a rootsy, close-harmony early-aughts version of Crosby, Stills, and Nash, featuring Shawn Mullins (of "Lullaby" fame) and Pete Droge (of "If You Don't Lov

2022: The Album

Since 2003 I've made a mix of some of my favorite songs of the calendar year. Here's the cover art and track listing for the 2022 edition. 1. BODEGA - "Pillar on the Bridge of You" 2. Harry Styles - "Late Night Talking" 3. Vicious Vicious - "Evolution" 4. Hot Freaks - "Lovely" 5. Carly Rae Jepsen - "The Loneliest Time" 6. Tears for Fears - "End of Night" 7. Spoon - "Wild" 8. Death Cab for Cutie - "Here to Forever" 9. Citrine and GUKKO - "Feel Better" 10. Rhett Miller - "Fascination" 11. Broken Bells - "Fade Away" 12. Leah Marlene - "Flowers" 13. Robbie Williams - "The World and Her Mother" 14. Jimmy Eat World - "Something Loud" (acoustic version) 15. Sloan - "Dream It All Over Again" If you have Amazon Unlimited, you can listen at this link . 

Weezer: SZNZ Abbreviated

One of the most oldest and most enticing thought exercises in pop music is: What if (artist) had released the best songs from (double album) as a single disc instead?  Pre-Internet, folks used their cassette decks to create their own truncated versions of likes of The Beatles'  White Album ("Revolution 9" has to go, for sure) and Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (sorry, "Jamaica Jerk-Off"), some out of artistic vision, others because the tape just wasn't long enough to hold all the songs. Now, with mp3s and streaming, we have the ability to curate everything for ourselves, which means even a single album could be reduced to an EP of your faves, with the shuffle feature making it so the order doesn't even have to be the same every time. Here's where I could detour into a healthy digression about the negative consequences of that total freedom, but I'll resist the temptation. Our good friends Weezer - who are not typically known for rest